SmugMug will always be there for you, but we don't have to be in your URL. With a few quick steps, you can hook up your custom domain to point right to your site.
Example: Use www.theoriginalblackcat.com instead of blackcatphoto.smugmug.com.
Note: We issue an SSL Certificate for your custom domain while it's pointed to your SmugMug site.
No domain? No problem! SmugMug has partnered with a domain provider to offer you a one-stop, effortless domain setup.
- Go here and pick an available domain name. Follow the steps to make it yours.
- Visit your SmugMug Account Settings > Me > Account tab for the Custom Domain field. Enter your new domain name (including the www) into the box and click Save. That's it!
Already have a domain with GoDaddy? Great!
If you purchased your domain name directly from GoDaddy, visit your SmugMug Account Settings > Me > Account tab and locate the Custom Domain field. Enter your domain name, including the www portion of the URL. Then click the link for GoDaddy Connect.
A window will pop up to walk you through connecting your GoDaddy domain to your SmugMug account.
Important: Don't see the pop-up? Check your browser settings. If you're blocking pop-ups, you'll need to temporarily allow them to see the GoDaddy sign-in shown below.
Follow the on-screen instructions to log in with your GoDaddy account information and complete the connection to your SmugMug site.
If you purchased your domain name from another provider, be sure to check your domain registrar's setup instructions to prevent problems. And make sure you're using your registrar's default nameservers. Then take the following steps to set up the domain to work with your SmugMug account.
- Point your CNAME www to domains.smugmug.com.
- Within the domain forwarding area, point the version of your domain address without the www to the address with the www: example.com, www.example.com.
- Visit your SmugMug Account Settings > Me > Account tab. Enter your new domain name into the Custom Domain field and click Save. That's it!
Using a subdomain to point at SmugMug? There's no need to set up domain forwarding, or an A Record. Instead take these steps.
- Point your CNAME for the subdomain to domains.smugmug.com.
- Example: If your subdomain is photos.myphotography.com, you would point the CNAME photos to domains.smugmug.com.
- No domain forwarding is necessary.
- Visit your SmugMug Account Settings > Me > Account tab. Enter your new domain name into the Custom Domain field and click Save.
As long as you don't change the other DNS records, like the MX records, your domain email and subdomains will continue to work.